Feb 2, 2022 Reminders as you Prepare your 2021 Taxes
As you or your tax preparer start to work on your 2021 taxes, there are a few things we wanted to remind you.
- 1099s – TD Ameritrade is releasing 1099s in waves. The most recent wave of 1099s was released on February 11th and the final wave will be released on February 17th. There may be corrections issued after that date as well. You can find your tax documents on your advisorclient.com login or through your LRIA portal. If you elect to receive these documents via paper, please allow 5 to 7 business days to receive them after the release dates.
- QCDs – If you did a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA account in 2021, your 1099-R will not reflect that. You will need to put that in your tax software or let your CPA know. We mailed letters that provide you with information on the qualified charitable distribution you did in 2021.
- Child Tax Credit – Families who received advanced payments of the Child Tax Credit will or have already received a form 6419 showing the amount of the credit they received in 2021. Families will be able to claim the remainder of the credit on their 2021 Tax Returns.
- Economic Impact Payments – Individuals who received the Economic Impact Payment should have received Letter 6475 containing the amount they received. This amount will need to be used on your 2021 tax return to calculate your correct Recovery Rebate Credit.
- Charitable Deduction for Non-Itemizers – Individuals who take the standard deduction cannot claim a deduction for their charitable contributions. However, individuals can take a deduction on their 2021 federal income tax returns for cash contributions made to certain qualifying charitable organizations and still claim the standard deduction. Under this change, individuals can claim a deduction of up to $300 ($600 for Married filing Jointly) for cash contributions made to qualifying charities during 2021. This deduction does not apply to donated property.
- IRA & HSA Contributions – You still have time to contribute to your IRA accounts or HSA accounts for 2021. Contributions are due by the earlier of April 18, 2021 or your tax return filing date.
- Tax Refunds – The IRS encourages taxpayers seeking a tax refund to file their tax return as soon as possible. The IRS anticipates most tax refunds being issued within 21 days of the IRS receiving a tax return if the return is filed electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with the tax return. To avoid delays in processing, the IRS encourages people to avoid paper tax returns whenever possible.
- January 24th – IRS starts accepting and processing tax returns
- April 18th – Deadline for filing 2021 returns or filing an extension
- October 17th – Deadline for filing for those who requested an extension
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Leonard Rickey Investment Advisors, PLLC (“LRIA”), is an SEC registered investment adviser located in the State of Washington. Registration does not imply a certain level of skill or training. For information pertaining to the registration status of LRIA, please contact LRIA or refer to the Investment Adviser Public Disclosure website (www.adviserinfo.sec.gov).
This is provided for general information only and contains information that is not suitable for everyone. As such, nothing herein should be construed as the provision of specific investment advice or recommendations for any individual. To determine which investments may be appropriate for you, consult your financial advisor prior to investing. There is no guarantee that the views and opinions expressed herein will come to pass. This newsletter contains information derived from third party sources. Although we believe these third-party sources to be reliable, we make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information prepared by any unaffiliated third party incorporated herein and take no responsibility therefore.
Any projections, forecasts and estimates, including without limitation any statement using “expect” or “believe” or any variation of either term or a similar term, contained here are forward-looking statements and are based upon certain current assumptions, beliefs and expectations that LRIA considers reasonable or that the applicable third parties have identified as such. Forward-looking statements are necessarily speculative in nature, and it can be expected that some or all of the assumptions or beliefs underlying the forward-looking statements will not materialize or will vary significantly from actual results or outcomes. Some important factors that could cause actual results or outcomes to differ materially from those in any forward-looking statements include, among others, changes in interest rates and general economic conditions in the U.S. and globally, changes in the liquidity available in the market, change and volatility in the value of the U.S. dollar, market volatility and distressed credit markets, and other market, financial or legal uncertainties. Consequently, the inclusion of forward-looking statements herein should not be regarded as a representation by LRIA or any other person or entity of the outcomes or results that will be achieved by following any recommendations contained herein. While the forward-looking statements here reflect estimates, expectations and beliefs, they are not guarantees of future performance or outcomes. LRIA has no obligation to update or otherwise revise any forward-looking statements, including any revisions to reflect changes in economic conditions or other circumstances arising after the date hereof or to reflect the occurrence of events (whether anticipated or unanticipated), even if the underlying assumptions do not come to fruition. Opinions expressed herein are subject to change without notice and do not necessarily take into account the particular investment objectives, financial situations, or particular needs of all investors.
For additional information about LRIA, including fees and services, please contact us for our Form ADV disclosure brochure using our contact information herein. Please read the disclosure brochure carefully before you invest or send money.
Market Update: February 2023